Ann Janson

In Loving Memory of Ann Janson

Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Memories

Mom,
You gave me so much love and taught me so many things about life. You never were shy, so I thought you would think it was OK that I share some of my special memories of you.

You had so much energy and interest in almost everything. I remember riding in the back of your red bike. How you loved to stop and talk to people. Your conversation style was so inquisitive. You were always so honestly interested in other people lives, thoughts and feelings. You never kept things from me and always were very interested in what I was thinking.

I remember how many many times I was sick or hurt how you sang for me, made me chicken soup, how you put the wet cloth on my head, took my temperature, gave me alcohol rubs, put Vics on my chest, ran the humidifier and brought me the bucket. I don't know how I would have made it through those times without your love and compassion.

I remember the games you played and all the surprises. The waking up on Easter and following the red string to the clothes dryer. How you used to delight in dressing and feeding us. You used to let us stay up and play cards with all your colourful friends. Even though we were just kids, you wanted us to share in the fun and laughter. How when you got your bonuses from work you bought us the Shack, and the time you splurged on the trip to St. Thomas.

I remember how you danced, all dressed up in bright colours, gold or bronze. You showed me that it is OK to have fun and express yourself. Living in such a conservative culture now I stand out like a peacock. Everyone else hangs back and spectates, you taught us not to be afraid, get up and dance, ask for that raise, suck the marrow out of life. You only live once. No regrets. Don't be afraid because you are wonderful. These were your messages.

I remember all the old world parables you carried down with pride from your Mom. "Do on to others as you would have them do to you" . You were into motivation tapes before anyone else. You always knew that if one remains positive then good things happen. So many others I know must have been raised by pessimists. Thank you so much for giving me so much optimism.

I remember your Christmas's. Decorating the tree with you. When I watch American Christmas movies from Australia showing those fabulous Christmas trees. The Australian's laugh and say Christmas isn't like that. I don't say it, but I think to myself yes it is I was there! We had a tree more beautiful than that, the heartfelt prepared dinner and all the love one could hope for on every Christmas day. We never had any family fights that I hear others bemoan.
You created this wonderful feeling in the house that always started the new year with such good feelings.

I remember your Rainbow relationship with Davey and Janine. How you always focused on the little ones. Understanding what they need at each wonderful stage. How many presents you sent to Leif just at the right time in his development.

You had so much love. I will always remember looking up at those green eyes that beamed back love at me. You told me how my arrival in the world freed you from suffering and helped you reconnect you with all the joy inside you. You taught me that even when the worst imaginable thing happens that love and life carry on. I wanted to let you know that your love was not wasted on me. That the love you gave me I pass on to my son as he will pass it on to his children.

I will miss your love so much Mom, but you gave me so much of it that I have more than enough to see me through this short life.

Love Always,

Rob